How I can help you
I am a scientist with an MBA. I am passionate about helping businesses be successful. I have helped friends start a successful restaurant and I have been on the board of directors for a nonprofit childcare operation. In my career at 3M I specialized in identifying and commercializing large new business ideas most recently for the automotive aftermarket. I can help you:
- Start a new business.
- Make an existing business more profitable.
- Grow an existing business.
- Assess new ideas to determine viability. Build a plan to commercialize and protect the idea.
I look forward to working with you either locally in Florida or over the phone / Internet.
Employed for 36 years as a scientist at 3M Company. For 10 years I led a cross functional group of 15 people with the goal of doubling our organizations sales in 3 years for the Automotive Aftermarket Division. Growth could come in the form of new products or new business models. 3M Company is made up of 40 divisions which act like independent companies. I had a chance to work in several divisions getting broad experience with many technologies and markets.
Background and Expertise
1. Trained in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering with a focus on polyurethane chemistry and the general coatings market. Also earned an MBA in 2007 focused on business optimization and marketing.
2. Expertise is the identification, assessment and commercialization of new business opportunities.This includes methods of gathering customer insights, generating early prototypes and building a viable business case.Spent the past 10 years studying the collision repair market and the needs of the market. This is commonly called the "Front End of the Innovation Process".
3. Experienced in generating a strategic plan for an organization.
4. Experienced with the Intellectual Property process. Listed as an inventor on over 25 patents in many diverse areas. This includes documenting ideas with a record of invention, reviewing the relevant art in the public domain and developing a strategy for the IP to create a sustainable business.
5. Lived in Asia for 2 years. Based in Vietnam but traveled to India, China, Japan and Korea with the goal of redesigning the companies products for the Asian market.
6. Trained in business optimization using Lean Methodology or Six Sigma methodology.
7. Trained as a Futurist. The goal is to collect information and generate future scenarios that have a high probability of coming true.
8. Worked closely with friends to start their restaurant in 2004. We helped with funding and worked in the restaurant for 2 years until it was profitable. Now the business is very profitable and has been in business for over 10 years in a highly competitive market.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Strategy & Planning
- Intellectual Property
- Manufacturing & Product Development
- Business Operations
- Transportation & Warehousing
- Professional & Business Services
- Accommodation & Food Services
BS in Chemistry Iowa State University in Ames Iowa with emphasis on Mathematics and Chemical Engineering
MBA with Entrepreneurial focus from Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee WI